As soon as we got back to Utah from the wedding, it was family reunion time! Derek and I missed the last Ireland reunion in Arkansas, so it was especially exciting to see everyone! This family just keeps growing and growing. I think we're up to something like 55 people now? We were sad to be missing Tani (who had back surgery the previous week), Trent, Seth, and Sam, but everyone else was able to be there for at least part of the time. Even with my grandparents' eight bedrooms, we still didn't have enough rooms for everyone! Some stayed with Beth and Todd and a few in Ryan's tent trailer. Other than being a couple rooms short, this house is the perfect place for a reunion. The pool was a big hit (especially with the 90 degree weather the last two days), as was the sport court. I think everyone had a great time!
The Irelands are definitely a work hard/play hard kind-of family, and our reunions are always packed full of fun activities. Here were some of the highlights...
The trampoline park.
 |
A rather extreme game of dodgeball
Trevor making a slam dunk
Waiting in line for the foam pits
|
A hike to the hot springs.
 |
| Anna has had her diaper changed in some pretty crazy places! |
 |
Haley and I getting her dressed again
Anna fell asleep on the way back down...no idea how she could sleep in that position!
|
The traditional obstacle course.
Haley
Trevor
And traditional talent show.
The cup game
Carson on the trampoline
Derek reading "The Monster at the End of This Book" in his Grover voice
And LOTS of swimming!
Chicken fight! Matt and Jamon vs Derek and Ethan
The giant ball broke after being used in the obstacle course
But the leftover pieces made great sunbathing rafts!
Some of us needed naps in between to keep up!
My parents and sisters enjoyed spending lots of time with Anna. She's at a pretty fun stage right now where she'll go to anyone and give lots of smiles and a few giggles. I felt pretty spoiled having so many willing babysitters!
My dad holding Anna at the trampoline park while Derek and I jumped
Maggie and Anna
My dad making Anna laugh
 |
Even 4-year-old Kate liked to help with Anna :)
All in all, it was a great reunion with lots of fun memories. On Monday night of the reunion, my mom gave the lesson for FHE. She shared an article about the importance of families. It talked about a study that found that kids who know a lot about their families, including stories about their parents and grandparents, are more resilient and well-adjusted than kids who don't know much about their families. I think reunions like this are great opportunities to share those stories and to build closer relationships. I'm so grateful to be a member of a family with such an amazing legacy of faith, education, hard work, and love!
|
Definitely agree that we are a "work hard/play hard kind of family." Loved being with everyone, too!
ReplyDelete