As Derek put it to his grandpa the other day, Anna has completely turned our world upside down. We were living on a pretty set schedule before she came along. Woke up at 5:30, went to school/work, came home at 5:30, ate dinner, then homework (Derek) and grading papers/lesson planning (me), and then bed around 10:30. We were like clockwork. And then this little person came along and threw everything out of synch. Obviously sleep is completely messed up. Nights start at about 9:00. We're trying to get a bedtime routine in place for Anna...pjs, feeding, story, prayer, and then her lullaby CD. Unfortunately, Anna's not always tired at 9:00. Generally, she falls asleep after an hour or so of rocking. Then she usually sleeps until 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. Then after that it's pretty much awake for a half hour, sleep for an hour or two until about 10:00 a.m. Days are pretty much the same as nights, except with sightly longer awake periods and shorter naps.
I had this silly notion that I would be able to get a lot done around the house during Anna's naptimes. Ha! Anna doesn't like to be put down for more than a few minutes. So when she's awake, I'm holding her. And then when she's napping, I'm often napping too. :) The hour or two during the day that she's asleep and I'm actually not tired, I try to get some cleaning done. This is how that typically goes...
Anna goes down for a nap. I sort the laundry and put one load in. By the time that load is finished, Anna is awake. Two hours later, she's asleep again and I put the load in the dryer and a new load in the washer. Another two or three hours before I can switch the new load into the dryer. Then maybe two days later I finally get around to folding it. :) Same thing for other chores. I get halfway done with the dishes, and then Anna wakes up. Or I sweep the kitchen and am about ready to mop, and Anna wakes up. Everything just takes a lot longer.
I haven't done too much venturing out of the house with Anna yet. Mostly because it's been FREEZING here pretty much since she was born. If I need to go somewhere, I'll wait until Derek gets home and then leave Anna with him while I quickly run my errand. But this week the forecast is above 30 degrees all week. So maybe we'll actually get out of the house and go to the library or something! That will definitely be an adventure. :)
I remember before Jared was born that I planned to have all the housework done by noon and then spend my afternoons doing projects. I quickly realized, I was happy if I was just showered by noon! Enjoy these totally crazy and completely sweet days!
ReplyDelete