I have definitely hit the "I'm-ready-to-be-done-being-pregnant" stage of pregnancy. My mom has a theory that God purposefully designed the last month of pregnancy to be completely miserable because it makes us forget how awful labor is and actually ANTICIPATE labor so we can be done with pregnancy. :) I think this pregnancy has been harder than my first. I battled nausea for 20 weeks instead of 12. I've had more back pain this time around...probably due to the fact that I've already gained almost ten pounds more with this kiddo than I ever did with Anna. And he is currently sitting really low, so I have a lot of pelvic pressure/pain which isn't too fun.
But laying aside all the unpleasantness of pregnancy, I'm starting to feel pretty excited about having another baby. I knew I wanted my kids to be fairly close in age, so I was excited as soon as I found out we were having another child. But it took me awhile to really feel excited about having another BABY. The newborn stage is honestly not my favorite. I know so many people love newborns...how they cuddle with you all the time and the "newborn smell" and all that. But while Anna's newborn stage was incredibly special for me (getting to be a mom for the first time and feeling all the love and emotions that come with that), I think I've enjoyed every subsequent stage of her life more than the first. I just enjoy babies more when they can actually smile and giggle and interact with you. (And also when they sleep for more than three-hour chunks at night). But as it gets closer to my due date, I'm feeling more excited about holding a newborn baby--MY newborn baby--again.
And right alongside my growing excitement is a fair amount of increasing nervousness. The thought of having an infant AND a toddler overwhelms me just a little bit. Some days, I feel like we're barely able to manage Anna. Those days I think, "How in the world are we going to take care of TWO kids??" Sometimes, I start thinking through different situations, like going grocery shopping, and how it will be with two kids. (Should I get the baby all buckled up and in the car and then take care of Anna? Or will it be easier to get Anna all situated in the car and then give her a snack or something to keep her happy while then get the baby ready to go? Then when I get to the store, do I get Anna out first? Or is it better to get the baby out first and then Anna so she can't run off? And putting the baby's car seat in the shopping cart is definitely not going to work because it will take up too much space. Is my best option going to be using a baby sling? Is that going to be annoying to put that on and take it off every time?? Etc, etc) I get stressed thinking about it! But then I remember how I felt going anywhere with Anna when she was a newborn and being so paranoid that she would CRY (heaven forbid) while I was at the store and I wouldn't be able to get her to stop and people would think I was a terrible mom and all these other ridiculous thoughts. And then I think about how she threw a royal tantrum the other week in the middle of Wal-mart, and I didn't even bat an eye! And I remind myself that it will be challenging at first because it will be new, but then it will get easier and easier.
Two kids. We can do this, right?




Oh my gosh! The car seat in the cart! That is so a "thing" to think through. I still try that now with 3 kids and it works. You just find ways to shove it all in {although, when I do my BIG grocery shopping, I do have to take the baby carrier. And yes, that is annoying to take on and off every time. It's a little easier with the carrier than with our Moby wrap. But I was so stoked when Kenzie could sit in the front I had to take a picture for those very reasons!} Honestly, I can't believe you've already thought through all those things. You can be prepared! I didn't even consider them and was shocked to get to the store and run into those conundrums. Bonus mommy point for you!
ReplyDelete